The State of Maryland's Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) certification is an important economic development and business support program for the minority business community. Due to the State’s progressive MBE laws, policies and strong Administrative support, Maryland has become a leader in promoting MBE contracting opportunities.
- Maryland is one of 16 states in the nation that have an MBE Program with a goal of 25 percent;
- One out of four states to have a legally mandated MBE Program;
- The first state to establish a sub-goal for African American-owned businesses; and
- The only state that collects uniform reporting data including payments to MBEs.
Who is considered a Minority Business Enterprise (MBE)?
A MBE is a business that is at least 51% owned and controlled by one or more minority persons. A minority is generally defined as an individual who is African American, Hispanic American, Asian American, Native American, a Woman or a Disabled person. Additionally, the State also recognizes non-profit firms that are organized to promote the interests of the physically or mentally disabled.
Vendors wishing to become certified minority businesses are encouraged to contact the Department of Transportation, Minority Business Enterprise Department at 410-865-1241 or www.marylandtransportation.com
MBE Office Mission
The Minority Business Enterprises Office is dedicated to providing efficient and courteous services by delegating MBE goals to all possible MVA procured projects and monitoring compliance to ensure that these goals are accomplished.
State Finance and Procurement Article 14-302(a)(1) and BPW Advisory 2001-1 require each agency to structure its procurement procedures to try to achieve the following results:
- An overall minimum of 25% of the unit’s total dollar value of procurement contracts is to be made directly or indirectly from all certified MBEs;
- Appropriate sub-goals will be determined on a case by case review.
MBE Office Staff
Dana Wright, MBE Compliance Officer
Warren Squirewell, MBE Compliance Officer
MBE Contact Information
Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT)
Office of Minority Business Enterprise
7201 Corporate Center Drive
P.O. Box. 548
Hanover, Maryland 21076
(410) 865-1269 or 1-800-544-6056
Governor’ s Office of Minority Affairs (GOMA)
6 Saint Paul Street, Suite 1502
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
(410) 767-8232 or 1-877-558-0998
Small Business Reserve Program
Department of General Services
301 W. Preston Street, Room M-3
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
MBE Plan Submittal Process
MBE Form A Utilization and Fair Solicitation Affidavit
MBE Form B Participation Schedule
MBE Form C Outreach Efforts Compliance Statement
MBE Form D Subcontractor Project Participation Affidavit