You may be eligible for a one-time excise tax credit, up to $3000.00, when you purchase a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle. Effective July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2017, an individual may be entitled to receive an excise tax credit on a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle regardless of whether they own or lease the vehicle. Business entities may also qualify for the tax credit on up to ten vehicles.
Credit requests received are processed subject to the availability of funds.
The criteria for a qualifying plug-in electric vehicle are as follows:
- The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways.
- The vehicle cannot be modified from the manufacturer's specifications.
- The vehicle must be a new vehicle purchased from a dealer
- The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
- The shipping weight of the vehicle may not exceed 8,500 pounds.
- The maximum speed capability must be at least 55 miles per hour.
- The vehicle must be capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
Credit request received are subject to the availability of funding and will be processed in the following amounts:
- The product of $125 times the kilowatt-hours of battery capacity of the vehicle not to exceed $3,000. Vehicles with 25 kilowatt-hours and above will only qualify for the maximum allowed of $3,000.
If you have purchased a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer will assist you with completing the proper form for the tax credit, you may download the Excise Tax Request for a Plug-in Electric Vehicle (VR-334) form.
Note: On July 1, 2015 all businesses wishing to title a vehicle will be required to show proof of the legal existence of the business. The business will be given a number with a "Z" to identify it.
• There is no fee for applying for the tax credit.
Excise Tax Refund Unit
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE, Room 202
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center: