You are required to obtain a moped permit if you do NOT possess a valid driver’s license and want to operate a moped or motor scooter on public roads. If your driving privilege has been suspended, revoked, refused or cancelled, you are not eligible for a moped permit. The minimum age to apply for and obtain a moped operator's permit is 16 years of age.
Effective January 1, 2014, your Maryland Federally Non-Compliant moped permit will NOT be issued at the time of your transaction; however, it will be mailed to your Maryland residential address on file. You should expect to receive your moped permit in the mail within 10 days. You will be issued a paper, "Interim Receipt" that you may drive on until you receive the photo moped permit in the mail.
What is the procedure for obtaining a moped permit?
Gather the documents that you will need to present to the MVA:
- Please refer to Sources of Proof for required identity documentation and instructions.
- Maryland MVA Photo Identification (ID) card - if you have one. *This ID card must be surrendered to obtain a moped operator's permit.
- Glasses or contact lenses, if needed (see Vision Requirements for more information);
- If you are less than 18 years of age, you must be accompanied by your parent/guardian who will be required to sign the application in the presence of an MVA representative; and
Visit any MVA full-service branch office. When you arrive, the Customer Agent will:
- Take your photograph. See MVA Photo Guidelines.
- Review your documents;
- Conduct a vision screening or review your vision screening form;
- Verify your eligibility;
- Have you sign the application following the MVA Signature Guidelines.
- Administer the knowledge test for Moped.
- If you fail the knowledge test you will be required to schedule an appointment to come back and retest.
Effective October 1, 2012 all mopeds and motor scooters will be required to be titled electronically and will be issued a permanent decal to place on the rear of the moped or motor scooter. There will be no title fee or excise tax charged if the moped or motor scooter was owned prior to October 1, 2012, as long as it is titled before October 1, 2013. All moped and motor scooter owners will be required to pay the required titling and excise fees as of October 1, 2013.
Individuals will also be required to verify at the time of titling that they carry at least the minimum amount of liability insurance for the moped or motor scooter and they must carry a current insurance card with them when operating this vehicle. Operators of mopeds and motor scooters are required to wear an approved motorcycle helmet and approved eye protective device. Riders must wear an approved motorcycle helmet. Please see Mopeds and Motor Scooters and Titling - Mopeds and Motor Scooters for additional information.
Upon successful completion, the Customer Agent will retrieve your Maryland ID card, if applicable, collect the fee, and issue the Moped permit if applicable.
- There is a fee for a moped permit.
Driver Services Division
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center: