The questions and answers below explain four different processes related to the operation of a dealership and or title service. Either scroll down to the appropriate process description or click on the link:
- Electronic Registration and Titling (ERT) - The ERT is a program open to dealers and title service agents that permits participants to electronically apply for a Maryland title on behalf of a customer. The program also allows participants to issue license plates and registration documents directly to a customer.
- Business Licensing Orientation session - Dealer orientations provide knowledge that is essential for operating a dealership; time is also set aside to answer any questions that participants may have. All sessions are held in the Glen Burnie branch office and are led by different MVA employees, including representatives of the units responsible for titling vehicles and for investigations.
- Dealer book - This MVA publication includes the name and address of all dealers, title service agents, automotive dismantlers and recyclers, scrap processors, manufacturers and distributors that have been licensed by the MVA.
- Dealer record (certified or non-certified) - Typically, this is a copy of the license application submitted by the dealer or other vehicle-related business that the MVA regulates.
Vehicle dealers and title service agents that are licensed by the MVA are required to participate in the ERT program. All dealer (new and used dealers, motorcycle dealers, and trailer dealers) licenses approved or renewed must have a contract with a business that provides electronic registration and titling services to the dealership. The MVA has contracted three vendors: CVR, Dealer Track, or Title Tech, to manage the program. These vendors compete with each other to sign up participants.
Business licensing orientation sessions provide participants with knowledge that is vital to the operation of a dealership and title service; time is also allowed to address any participant questions. The MVA strongly encourages the participation of dealership and title service owners, title clerks, and other staff who may be involved in the businesses' day-to-day operation. However, anyone can participate in an orientation, without cost.
To sign up for business licensing orientation, complete and submit a Dealer Orientation Request Form to the Business Licensing and Consumer Services Division (BL&CS) in the MVA's Glen Burnie office. The BL&CS will schedule sessions at a time that is convenient to most requestors. Typically, sessions are held once each month.
Approximately 7-10 days in advance of the scheduled session, you will receive a confirmation letter giving you the exact date, time and location of the orientation session. The sessions are held in the Glen Burnie branch office and are led by different MVA employees, including representatives of the units responsible for titling vehicles and for investigations.
To obtain this MVA publication, you must submit a written request that includes your reason for needing the book. A supervisor in the Business Licensing and Consumer Services Division (BL&CS) must approve the request. You can submit your request by mail or in person at the BL&CS counter in the Glen Burnie MVA office. The books cost is slightly less if you apply in person.
To obtain a dealer record, you must submit a written request that includes your reason for needing the record. A supervisor in the Business Licensing and Consumer Services Division (BL&CS) must approve the request. You can submit your request by mail or in person at the BL&CS counter in the Glen Burnie MVA office. The BL&CS can certify the dealer record for a small additional fee.
- The cost of participating in the Electronic Registration and Titling (ERT) system is set by the vendor.
- There is no fee for participating in a business licensing orientation session.
- There is a for a dealer book whether it is mailed to the customer ($22) or handed to the customer at the BL&CS counter ($20).
- There is a fee for a certified or non-certified copy of a dealer's record.
Business Licensing and Consumer Services Division
6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E.
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
CVR - 1-800-333-6995
Title Tec- 1-866-689-0578
MVA Customer Service Center: