In most cases, a Maryland dealer handles the titling process, as well as the lease agreement and the delivery of the vehicle to the lessee. If a leasing company purchases a vehicle through an out-of-state dealer, however, the company may have to submit the titling documents personally.
You can apply in person at any of the MVA's full service branch offices. You also can mail the documents to the MVA's Mail In Title Unit in the Glen Burnie office, or go to an MVA licensed tag and title service where they will assist you in applying. If your leasing company is based outside of Maryland and you want the title mailed to an out of state address, a signed letter of request describing the correct mailing address needs to be included with the titling documents.
Typically, the title application documents needed (along with payment for taxes and fees) include:
- Application for Certificate of Title – Note that a Maryland address must appear on a Maryland title. Therefore, if your company is located out-of-state, list the Maryland lessee’s name as co-owner, preceded by c/o (in care of) to show the lessee does not really own the vehicle. Then, list the lessee’s Maryland address in the address field. If your leasing company has a Maryland address, you can follow the same procedure used by the out-of state leasing company, or simply record only your company’s name and address. If you also want to register your vehicle, be sure to include your insurance information. Your policy must conform to Maryland’s minimum liability insurance requirements.
- Certificate of origin – This is an ownership document produced by the vehicle’s manufacturer.
- Bill of sale
- Odometer Disclosure Statement
- Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate – This Maryland State Police form certifies that your vehicle meets Maryland safety standards and is required only if the vehicle is used. If a Maryland dealer is handling the transaction for you and has performed the inspection, the certificate is valid for a period of 6 months from the inspection date, or when the odometer reading advances 1,000 miles from the reading at the time of inspection, whichever comes first. If you had the inspection performed at another authorized inspection station, it is valid for 90 days from the date issued.
Under certain circumstances, additional information and/or forms may be required:
- Lien information – if you borrowed money to buy the vehicle, you may need to record your lien information on the Application for Certificate of Title. The MVA's Security Interest Filing form must be used if a second lien is placed against the title.
- Power of attorney – If someone other than the leasing company's owner(s), partner(s) or corporate officer(s) is signing the titling forms, this document is required.
- Certification for Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle – If you want your vehicle to be titled as a multi-purpose vehicle, a class "M" vehicle, but it is not on the list of recognized multi-purpose vehicles, you must submit this certification.
Note that if you also intend to register the vehicle (most cases) additional forms may be needed. Registration requirements vary greatly by the type and intended use of the vehicle. The requirements for most vehicles can be found in Registration – Common Vehicles.
Your title will be mailed to you regardless of how you apply for it. If you also register the vehicle, your registration card, license plates and expiration stickers can be provided immediately when you apply in person to the MVA; otherwise, these items also will be mailed to you.
Note: On July 1, 2015 all businesses wishing to title a vehicle will be required to show proof of the legal existence of the business. The business will be given a number with a "Z" to identify it.
- The fee for titling a vehicle typically includes a title fee, excise tax, and a security interest (lien) filing fee if required.
- The fee for registration varies by the type of vehicle, its weight, and/or its intended use. See Fees for Registration Plates for more information.
Mail In Title Unit
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center: