The Maryland State Police (MSP) Automotive Safety Enforcement Division (ASED) licenses and oversees the operation of all authorized inspection stations in Maryland. To review the regulations governing the operation of inspection stations see COMAR sections 11.14.01.01 - 11.14.01.06.
If you are interested in applying for a license to operate an authorized inspection station, contact the MSP Automotive Safety Enforcement Division (ASED) either by phone or by mail. An ASED employee will send you a packet of forms to be completed, as well as instructions for other actions that you must take in order for your facility to be licensed. Typically, you must submit the following documentation:
- Application for Authorized Inspection License (form #MSP 23-1) – Be sure to complete both sides of the form and that all of the license classes in which you are interested are checked. For information about the types of vehicles that can be inspected by each class of station and other requirements related to the operation of an inspection station, see COMAR section 11.14.01.01.
- Zoning Approval Form (form #OPSCS-MSP 23-59) - A zoning official from the jurisdiction where the inspection station is located must sign the form indicating that the business meets all zoning requirements, including the issuance and use of an occupancy permit, if one is required.
- Fire safety inspection report
- Trader’s License (copy) – A copy of a Trader’s License is required if you will be selling items over the counter to customers. The license can be obtained from the Circuit Court in the jurisdiction where your facility is located.
- Power of Attorney - This form is required if the person who applies is a duly authorized representative of the company or corporation, but not an owner, partner or corporate officer.
As part of the ASED’s review process, Maryland State Police personnel will visit your facility to confirm that it meets all location, equipment and personnel requirements.
- The fee for applying to become an authorized inspection station is $100. Payment must be in the form of a money order, certified check or business check. Cash or personal checks cannot be accepted.
- The fee for renewing the license each year is $50.
- Additional fees may be charged if significant changes occur in the station’s operation, such as its location or ownership.
Maryland State Police
Automotive Safety Enforcement Division (ASED)
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
Other Telephone Numbers:
MVA Customer Service Center: