New applicant must show the required documents from each category below.
1. Age/ Identity:
- Unexpired foreign passport without current valid USCIS documentation; or
- Unexpired consular ID (consular ID’s are only accepted from the list of countries below):
- If you do not have an unexpired foreign passport or unexpired consular identification, you must present two (2) from the list below. One must contain a photo not more than eight (8) years old:
- Foreign birth certificate (original or certified copy).
- National identification or voter card displaying applicant's photo, name, and date of birth.
- Foreign driver’s license
- US state driver's license
- US state identification card
- US military identification card
- US military dependent identification card
- Certified school records, DL-300
- I-766 employment authorization document
If required, document must be accompanied by an English translation. See our list of Approved MVA Interpreters/Translators.
2. Proof of Maryland income tax filing, for preceding two (2) years:
Certification Letter from the Maryland Comptroller's Office :
- You must have a certification letter from the Maryland Comptroller's Office which verifies that you have filed MD tax returns for the preceding two (2) years.
- The certification letter contains a control number that is necessary to make an appointment with the MVA.
3. An appointment is required
If you are applying for your first Maryland driver's license/identification card, you must go to the Online Document Guide to start the process and schedule an appointment.
NOTE: You cannot make an appointment without the control number on the tax certification letter from the Maryland Comptroller’s Office.
4. Proof of Maryland Residency: Two (2) of the following source documents:
Maryland vehicle registration card or title;
Utility, Telephone, cable or satellite TV bill;
Checking, savings or financial account statement;
Insurance card or policy;
Property tax bill or receipt;
Mortgage account statement, deed, or other proof of home ownership;
Residential rental contract, an apartment lease, or other rental or real property; (current, formal contract or agreement between the property owner and tenant which includes all signatures);
Mail from a federal, state or local government agency;
Installment contract from a bank or other financial institution;
Sales tax or business license;
Credit card statement;
Residential service contract for services performed at the address of residence; for example, cable or satellite television service, TV repairs, lawn service or exterminator contract;
Canceled check with imprinted name and address;
Selective service card.