VETERAN STATUS ON YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE OR ID CARD:
The MVA offers a Veteran designation on a driver’s license or identification (ID) card for qualifying veterans. The designation indicates that you are eligible for State or Federal Veteran benefits. A “W” code will be placed on the front of the license or ID, and the word "veteran" on the back, indicating that you are a United States Veteran.
To qualify, please present your United States Military Veteran documentation (original or certified copy issued by the appropriate department/agency) certifying your veteran status. You can add the Veteran designation when you apply for, renew or correct your driver’s license or ID card.
There is a fee to add or remove the designation on your license or ID card if you are correcting it.
Click here for more information about the MVA's Veteran Designation.
The acceptable proof of veteran status documents are:
DD214 Military Discharge Certificate, or;
Honorable Discharge Certificate, or;
Letter for the U.S. Military Center in St. Louis, Missouri, or;
Letter from the Maryland Veterans Administration Service Program
The acceptable documents must show the Veteran status as:
General Under Honorable Conditions, or;
Discharged or Released under conditions other than Dishonorable
If you do not have acceptable proof of your veteran status that indicates a discharge or release under conditions other than dishonorable, you will need to contact the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA) Service Office to obtain documentation verifying your status as a veteran. You may call 1-800-446-4926 or visit the MDVA website at: http://www.mdva.state.md.us/about/serviceProgram.html for information and assistance..
CDL MILITARY WAIVER
To assist veterans and active duty personnel who are transitioning to a civilian career, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) adopted regulations that expedite the licensing process for a commercial driver’s license (CDL). The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) will waive the CDL skills test requirements for veterans (who have been discharged within the previous 12 months) and active duty personnel who meet specific criteria and wish to obtain a CDL for classes A or B.
The applicants must:
- have a good driving record.
- have a valid Maryland class C (non-provisional) noncommercial driver’s license, or higher.
- have 2 years of driving experience operating a military motor vehicle as part of their job function. The vehicle must represent the commercial motor vehicle that the individual expects to operate after discharge from the military.
- the Commanding Officer certifies the service member’s years of operating the military vehicle as well as the type of vehicle operated.
- must pass the required CDL vision and knowledge tests. The skills test waiver only applies to CDL driver’s licenses for classes A and B.
- must provide the MVA with a valid U.S. Department of Transportation Physical Card and an exemption or waiver if required.
For additional information on obtaining a CDL click here.
For additional information please visit FMCSA’s website: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/cdl/Military-CDL-Waiver.aspx.