This procedure is used when you will be outside of Maryland more than 45 days and cannot visit an MVA office regarding the following processes:
- Noncommercial driver's license - renewal, correction, duplicate and upgrade/downgrade
- Noncommercial driver's license converted from a provisional licesnse
- Noncommercial provisional license - renewal, correction, duplicate
- Noncommercial temporary license (provisional) - 45 day (maximum of 2 consecutive)
- Noncommercial temporary license (full) - 45 day (maximum of 2 consecutive)
- Moped permit - renewal, correction, duplicate
- Maryland ID card - new, correction, duplicate
- CDL - renewal, correction, duplicate and upgrade/downgrade.
Note: This does not include Learner's Permits.
How do I renew my license or obtain a duplicate or corrected license/ID card when I am outside of Maryland?
Contact the MVA Absent from State Unit at 410-768-7442. You can also directly contact the MVA's Absent from State Unit by letter, fax (410-787-2988), or e-mail.
The Absent from State Unit will mail you a packet of information and forms for you to complete.
- Carefully follow the instructions and return the completed forms to them.
- Be sure to sign the forms where required.
- Upon receipt of your application, the Absent from State Unit will verify that you are eligible and then mail the license or ID card to your out-of-state address.
A valid/current Medical Examiner's Certificate (DOT card) (and Intrastate waiver/Interstate exemption, if required) MUST be provided for all MVA Commercial Driver's License transactions. See CDL Medical/Physical Requirements for more information.
- There is a fee for the license/ID card, which is based on the transaction type (i.e., renewed license, duplicate license/ID, or corrected license/ID).
- There is no fee for a temporary license if one is issued.
Note: The conversion to an 8-year driver’s license and identification card will be implemented over the next few years. During this phase-in period, individuals renewing their noncommercial driver’s license or identification card will receive a product with a validity period of a maximum of 5 to 8 years. Because the expiration date of the license or identification card is determined by a computer generated selection process, the fee required to renew will vary. This fee is prorated (for each year the product is valid) based on the period of validity of the license or identification card which may be for a maximum of 5-8 years.
Note: Commercial driver’s licenses will continue to be valid for a maximum of 5-years.
Absent from State Unit
Driver Services Division
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center:
Veteran Status Code:
Effective January 1, 2013: You may be able to add a certain code to your license indicating you are a United States Veteran. Click here for more information.
- In choosing to add this code to the driver’s license or ID card, you consent to being contacted by the appropriate Executive Branch agencies regarding your eligibility for State or Federal Veteran’s benefits.
- “Veteran” means an individual who served on active duty in the armed forces of the United States, other than for training, and was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.
- If you do not have one of the below acceptable proof of veteran status documents indicating a discharge or release under conditions other than dishonorable, you will need to contact the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA) Service Office to obtain documentation verifying your status as a veteran. You may call 1-800-446-4926 or visit the MDVA website at http://www.mdva.state.md.us/about/serviceProgram.html for information and assistance.
The acceptable proof of veteran status documents are:
- DD-214 Military Discharge Certificate, or;
- Honorable Discharge Certificate, or;
- Letter from U.S. Military Center in St. Louis, Missouri, or;
- Letter from the Maryland Veterans Administration Service Program
The acceptable documents must show the Veteran status as:
- Honorable, or;
- General, or;
- General Under Honorable Conditions, or;
- Discharged or Released under conditions other than Dishonorable
Fee: There is a fee if the applicant chooses to add or remove this designation/restriction code onto their license or ID card as a correction.