This procedure is used when you will be outside of Maryland more than 45 days and cannot visit an MVA office regarding the following processes:
- Noncommercial driver's license - renewal, correction, duplicate and upgrade/downgrade
- Noncommercial driver's license converted from a provisional license
- Noncommercial provisional license - renewal, correction, duplicate
- Noncommercial temporary license (provisional) - 45 day (maximum of 2 consecutive)
- Noncommercial temporary license (full) - 45 day (maximum of 2 consecutive)
- Moped permit - renewal, correction, duplicate
- Maryland ID card - new, correction, duplicate
- CDL - renewal, correction, duplicate and upgrade/downgrade.
please note that this does not include learner's permits
If you expect to return to Maryland in less than 45 days, please click onto obtaining a temporary noncommercial license. For more information about ID cards, please click onto obtaining an identification card.
How do I renew my license or obtain a duplicate or corrected license/ID card when I am outside of Maryland?
Contact the MVA Absent from State Unit at 410-768-7442. You can also directly contact the MVA's Absent from State Unit by letter, fax (410-787-2988), or e-mail.
The MVA Absent from State Unit will mail you a packet of information and forms for you to complete.
- Carefully follow the instructions and return the completed forms to them.
- Be sure to sign the forms where required.
- Upon receipt of your application, the MVA Absent from State Unit will verify that you are eligible and then mail the license or ID card to your out-of-state address.
A valid/current Medical Examiner's Certificate (DOT card) and Intrastate waiver/Interstate exemption, (if required) must be provided for all MVA commercial driver's license transactions. See CDL medical/physical requirements for more information.
- There is a fee for the license/ID card, which is based on the transaction type (i.e., renewed license, duplicate license/ID, or corrected license/ID).
- There is no fee for a temporary license if one is issued.
The conversion to an 8-year driver’s license and identification card will be implemented over the next few years. During this phase-in period, individuals renewing their noncommercial driver’s license or identification card will receive a product with a validity period of a maximum of 5 to 8 years. Because the expiration date of the license or identification card is determined by a computer generated selection process, the fee required to renew will vary. This fee is prorated (for each year the product is valid) based on the period of validity of the license or identification card which may be for a maximum of 5-8 years.
However, commercial driver’s licenses will continue to be valid for a maximum of 5 years.
Anyone 18 years or over may be an organ donor. Minors who are at least 15 years and 9 months old may add a donor designation if a parent or guardian consents in writing. The organ donor designation will stay on your driver's license or identification card at each renewal unless you decide to remove it and there is no fee to add or remove the organ donor designation.
You may be able to add a veteran's designation to your license or ID card indicating that you are a United States Veteran. There is no fee to add the designation. Click here for more information.
MVA Absent from State Unit / Driver Services Division
6601 Ritchie Highway, NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center: