In order to increase customer service and reduce wait times at branch offices, customers who are eligible must renew their ID cards by MVA self-serve kiosk or online. In-person renewals are no longer processed at MVA branch office locations.
Immigrants, who present foreign documentation without valid accompanying United States Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation, to obtain a driver’s license or identification card (ID), please click here.
The Maryland MVA is converting non-commercial driver’s licenses and identification cards to an 8-year period of validity. ID cards for individuals 18 years of age and older will be valid for a period of 8 years and ID cards for those under the age of 18 will be valid for 5 years.
Individuals with a limited term ID or driver's license will continue to be issued a card with a validity period equal to their duration of lawful status in the United States and will not be able to renew using the mail, MVA kiosk or online.
You must also surrender any out-of-state card (ID card or driver's license) before a Maryland ID can be issued.
You may wish to receive an ID card instead of a temporary driver's license if you have been stopped by a police officer who suspected you of driving impaired. Please click here for more information.
New Identification Card
Please refer to sources of proof for required identity and residency documentation.
- If you are using a name other than your birth name, you must bring the documents that initiated the change of name, such as a marriage certificate(s), divorce decree(s) or court name change order.
- The ID card will be mailed to your Maryland address on record.
- Please pay close attention to the expiration date of your Maryland ID card. The MVA is not obligated to remind you when it is time to reapply for an ID card.
- For information on how to apply for a social security number, please visit the Social Security website.
- If you have a different name on your social security card than your source documents, you must change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) prior to coming to the MVA. The new name(s) must match the name(s) that the SSA has on record. The license, learner's permit or ID card will not be issued if the new desired name change does not match the SSA records and is not automatically verified by the SSA files. It may take a minimum of 48 hours or longer for the SSA to update their records with your name change. Customers may obtain a change of address online, at any MVA office, or the form may be mailed to you if you call the MVA Customer Service Center at 1-410-768-7000 or 1-800-492-4575 TTY for the hearing impaired.
- If the name is different from the name on your birth certificate, then you are required to provide the MVA with an original or certified copy (from the issuing agency) of the document or documents that changed your name i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court ordered name change, etc. However, a cross-reference record must be created with the name on your birth certificate.
Duplicate Identification Card:
Proof of age/identity, lawful status, verifiable social security number or proof of ineligibility, and Maryland residence. Please refer to sources of proof for required identity and residency documentation. There is a required fee.
- If address has not changed, proof of residence is not required.
- If your identification card has been stolen, please contact the MVA's Customer Ombudsman's office at 410-787-7856 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Corrected Identification Card:
Proof of age/identity, lawful status, verifiable social security number or proof of ineligibility, and Maryland residence. Please refer to sources of proof for required identity and residency documentation. There is a fee.
- If you are using a name other than your birth name, you must bring the document(s) that initiated the change of name, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court name change order.
If the name is different from the name on your birth certificate, then you are required to provide the MVA with an original or certified copy (from the issuing agency) of the name changing document(s) such as: marriage certificate, divorce decree, court ordered name change.
Reissuance/Renewal of Identification Card:
- Your expiring ID Card.
- There is a required fee.
- If you are presenting a Maryland driver's license or ID card that has been expired for one (1) year or more, you will be processed as a new customer and must provide the MVA with additional documents. Please refer to sources of proof for required identity and residency documentation.
Eligibility criteria for an ID card renewal online includes:
- A valid non-expired ID card
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- A verifiable Social Security Number (SSN) or a current ID card with a "U" restriction.
- An acceptable digital photo image on file with the MVA.
- Must have a retrievable signature on file with the MVA
- A verified MD residential address on record (Must use the same address on file with the MVA)
- Received your last ID card in person
You must surrender your ID card if you are issued a Maryland driver's license.
You may be able to add a veteran's designation to your ID card if you are a United States veteran, There is no fee for the designation. Please click here for more information.