Disability Plates and Placards - Renewal
Renewing disability plates and renewing permanent disability placards are two separate processes. Disability plates expire every two years (like all license plates) and are renewed in the same manner as all plates. You will be notified by mail approximately 2 months before they expire.
Permanent disability placards expire every four years; again the MVA will send you a renewal notice. For more information on these processes, click on the links below:
- Renewing Disability Plates - see Renewal of Registration
- Renewing Permanent Disability Placard(s) by Mail
- Renewing Permanent Disability Placard(s) in Person
- Temporary disability placards cannot be renewed. Rather a new temporary disability placard can be issued when a new certification of disability is received.
- You do not need to have your permanent disability re-certified by a doctor in order to renew either your plates or placard.
The MVA will initiate the renewal process by sending you a renewal notice for your permanent disability placard approximately 60 days before the placard expires. Note that temporary disability placards cannot be renewed. When you receive the renewal notice, review the information on it; be sure to include any change in your address. Then sign and date the notice and return it to the MVA in the envelope provided.
When the MVA receives your signed and dated renewal notice, a new disability placard with expiration date stickers and a Certification Card will be processed and mailed to you.
What if I've lost or never received a renewal notice?
You may contact the MVA Customer Service Center and request that a duplicate renewal notice be mailed to you. Once you receive your duplicate notice, sign, date, and mail the notice back to the MVA for processing.
What if my disability placard has expired or is about to expire?
If you need your placard renewed immediately, you may go in person to any MVA full service branch office or express office (for placards only) to renew your placard. Note: The Oakland office does not issue placards.
You may visit any MVA branch office or express office (for placards only) to renew your disability placard. If you have your renewal notice, take it with you. If you don't have a notice, ask the MVA Customer Agent to reprint the renewal notice. Note: The Oakland office does not issue placards.
After you sign and date the renewal notice at the counter, the Customer Agent will prepare a new disability placard with expiration date stickers and a Certification Card and hand them to you.
- There is no fee for renewing your permanent disability placard.
- There also is no fee for retaining your disability license plates when you renew your vehicle's registration, apart from the applicable registration fee.
6601 Ritchie Highway NE
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center: