Drivers of plug-in electric vehicles, titled and registered in Maryland, will be allowed to use the HOV lanes in Maryland regardless of the number of passengers, providing they obtain and display an HOV permit on the vehicle. For a plug- in electric: The vehicle owner(s) must complete the Application for Plug-in Electric Vehicle HOV Permit (form VR-335).
The permit will be valid from October 1, 2018 through September 30, 2022 and will be issued by:
- The dealership selling the vehicle;
- In person at the Vehicles Services Division, Counter 104 in the Glen Burnie MVA or
- Mail the application to MVA, 6601 Ritchie Highway N.E. Room 104 Glen Burnie, MD 21062. The vehicle must meet all the qualifications listed below in order to use the HOV lanes in Maryland:
The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer and be manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways;
- The vehicle can be modified from the original manufacturer's specifications to a plug-in electric vehicle. Modified vehicles must be examined by the Maryland State Police prior to the issuance of a HOV permit;
- Is rated at not more than 8,500 pounds unloaded gross vehicle weight;
- Has a maximum speed capability of at least 65 miles per hour;
- Is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor that draws electricity from a battery that has a capacity of not less than 4 kilowatt hours for 4-wheeled vehicles and not less than 2.5 kilowatt hours for 2 or 3-wheeled motor vehicles;
- The vehicle is capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
Note: If you are planning to purchase a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer can issue you an HOV permit at the time of purchase.
The permit must be affixed on the rear of the vehicle in a visible position within 12 inches of the license plate, but not on the window.
Note: A new permit may be placed over an existing one
- There is no fee for the HOV permit. However, the vehicle owner(s) must complete the Application for Plug-in Electric HOV Permit (form VR-335).
Motor Vehicle Administration
Vehicle Services Unit, Room 104
6601 Ritchie Highway, N.E.
Glen Burnie, MD 21062
For telephone questions:
MVA Customer Service Center: