Please be advised, effective immediately the $6 million funding authorized by the Maryland Clean Cars Act of 2019 (HB1246) as an excise tax credit for both Plug-In Electric Vehicles and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles for Fiscal Year 2020 (July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020) has been depleted.
Credit request will only be processed if additional funding becomes available and Applicants will be awarded the credit in the order of application receipt.
We are currently holding all applications that have been submitted, but no funding has been authorized for Fiscal Year 2021 yet.
If you have any questions please email us at: MVAElectricRefunds@mdot.maryland.gov
You may be eligible for a one-time excise tax credit, up to $3000.00, when you purchase a qualifying plug-in electric or fuel cell electric vehicle. Effective July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2020, an individual may be entitled to receive an excise tax credit on a qualifying plug-in electric or fuel cell electric vehicle regardless of whether they own or lease the vehicle. Business entities may also qualify for the tax credit on up to ten vehicles.
Subject to available funding, a credit is allowed against the excise tax imposed for the purchase of a plug-in electric or fuel cell electric vehicle and the credit may not exceed the lesser of the amount of excise tax paid or $3,000.
The criteria for a qualifying plug-in electric or fuel cell electric vehicles are as follows:
- The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways.
- The vehicle cannot be modified from the manufacturer's specifications.
- The vehicle must be a new vehicle and titled for the first time on or after July 1, 2017, but before July 1, 2020.
- The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
- The vehicle has a battery capacity of at least 5.0 kilowatt-hours (applies only to plug-in electric)
- The vehicle has a total purchase price not exceeding $63,000.
Note: The total purchase price of a vehicle is the price of a vehicle agreed on by the buyer and the seller, including any dealer processing charge, shipping or freight charges, less an allowance for trade in.
Credit request received are subject to the availability of funding and credit may not exceed the lessor of the following amounts:
- The amount of excise tax paid for the purchase of the vehicle; or
If you have purchased a plug-in electric or fuel cell electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer will assist you with completing the proper form for the tax credit, you may download the Excise Tax Request for a Plug-in Electric Vehicle or Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (VR-334) form.
• There is no fee for applying for the tax credit.
Credit requests received are subject to the availability of funding and will be calculated accordingly.