New Vehicle Dealer to Used Vehicle Dealer Process
If owners and location remain the same:You will need:
- To apply to Department of Assessment and Taxation to record new name (if applicable)
- Obtain a new Trader’s License with new name (if applicable)
- Request and obtain a new Surety Bond or Surety Bond Rider with new information
- A list of all metal dealer plates assigned to the dealership must be submitted with the new application.
- Submit to Business Licensing a completed application indicating your intention to apply for a Used Vehicle License as soon as your new name is finalized with Department of Assessment and Taxation. Note: The first four (4) items listed above must be included with your application.
- Submit new applications for Salesman employed by the dealership. MVA will issue “Gratis Corrected” licenses for the salesman with the new name. The corrected licenses will have the same expiration as the current license. If the Salesman Licenses are due for renewal, the regular fee of $75.00 will be required.
- Order a new Sign reflecting name change (if applicable). MVA will allow a three (3) months grace period to obtain a new sign.
- Expedite the processing of the application.
- Allow the dealerships to continue in business providing they have submitted the required paperwork (i.e. Trader’s License, Surety Bond and new application)
- Allow the dealerships to continue using the 60-day Temporary Plates purchased under the previous New Vehicle Dealer License.
- Allow the dealership to continue using Dealer Reassignments (VR-182).
- Allow the dealership to continue using the Transfer Permits, Odometer Statements forms and Bill of Sales.
- Waive the Investigation location inspection.
- Waive any Background checks for owners until the next renewal or 5 years.
- Waive the required Zoning Inspection. Note: A dealer may still be required to obtain a County/City inspection for the new sign but the MVA will not require a separate zoning review.
- New Vehicle Wall License