Established Procedures - Conversion of Titles into Salvage Titles
Procedure for Participating Dealers in the Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Act of 2009 (CARS) Program
Conversion of Certificate of Title into a Salvage Certificate
- Submit Maryland Certificate of Title (properly assigned to the dealership). Each title must be stamped both front and back with "CARS". If the vehicle's title reflects a lien, a Security Interest Filing or lien release must be included.
- Complete an Application for Salvage Certificate/Owner Retention Form (VR-28).
- Check the first box stating that you are applying for a Salvage Certificate.
- Complete Name & Address of Dealership.
- If more than one title is attached to the form, under Description of Salvage Vehicles, write "see attached". (The titles will have all the necessary information).
- In the applicant box, check off the Vehicle Owner box. In the next section, check the box that states you are applying for an Original.
- Submit $20.00 fee for each Salvage Certificate.
- A Salvage Certificate bearing the notation “Cars Program –Not Rebuildable – Parts Only" will be issued in the name of dealership.
- The dealership must use the Salvage Certificate to transfer ownership.
NOTE: Transactions will be processed within 24 HOURS upon receipt