Changing Gender Designation on Your Maryland Driver's License, Learner's Permit, or Identification Card
Requests to change or correct the information as it appears on your license, learner's permit, or ID card, must be made in person at any MVA branch office.
To Change your gender designation, you will need to present one of the following documents when making this request:
- Court order showing requested gender designation (original or certified copy);
- Federal/state issued identification showing requested gender designation;
- Birth certificate showing requested gender designation; or
- Authorization letter obtained from the MVA's Driver Wellness and Safety Division
A new photograph will be taken and a fee will be assessed each time a correction or change is made that requires a new license, permit, or ID card to be issued.
Name changes on a driver's license or ID card are completed via submission of appropriate documentation of the name change and must also be reflected in the Social Security Record. Name changes can be processed at any time, regardless of gender designation.
A new photograph will be taken when you request to correct your license, permit, or ID card.
If you have any questions or require additional assistance, please contact the Driver Wellness and Safety Division at 410-768-7511.
To obtain authorization from the DW&S Division, you will need to either click here to download the form or call 410-768-7511 to request a copy be sent to you. Below are instructions for each of the three sections that need to be completed on the form.
Once received and the required information is verified, a decision letter will be mailed and emailed to the address provided in "Section 1" of the form within 3-5 business days.
Section 1 (Completed by the applicant)
- Please fill out this information and sign the certification statement at the bottom of this section.
- Do not complete or fill out any other sections.
- You do not need to provide your email address; however, if you provide your email address, your decision letter will be emailed in addition to being mailed, which may enable you to get to a branch sooner to obtain your corrected license, permit, or ID card.
- Once you have completed this section, you will need to have your physician and a mental health professional complete the remaining two sections before submitting the form.
Section 2 (Completed by a physician)
- You will need to have "Section 2" completed by a physician that is licensed in the United States, with whom you have a doctor-patient relationship and is familiar with your transition-related treatment.
- This section can be completed by any physician who has reviewed and evaluated your medical records and is aware of the transition-related clinical treatment that you have received, including your primary care physician or a specialist.
- Staff members at the Driver Wellness and Safety Division will contact your physician to verify the information provided is correct and accurate.
Section 3 (Completed by a mental health professional)
- This section must be completed by a mental health professional that conducted a professional assessment of your gender identity based on the treatment that they have provided or review of your mental health records.
- You may have this section completed by any mental health professional.
- Staff members at the Driver Wellness and Safety Division will contact your provider to verify the information provided is correct and accurate.