Maryland Identification Cards
Effective January 1, 2014, the MVA will implement a new process for immigrants, presenting foreign documentation without valid accompanying United States Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation, to obtain a driver’s license (DL) or identification card (ID).
Please refer to Sources of Proof for required identity and residency documentation and instructions.
Also effective January 1, 2014, all Identification cards, new Type 1 GLS Learner’s permits, and any non compliant products will be mailed to the residence address on file.
Effective October 1, 2012, the Maryland MVA will begin the conversion of Non-commercial driver’s licenses and identification cards (ID cards) to an 8-year period of validity. ID cards for individuals 18 years of age and older will be valid for a period of 8 years and ID cards for those under the age of 18 will be valid for 5 years.
Note: Individuals with a limited term ID or driver's license will continue to be issued a product with a validity period equal to their duration of lawful status in the United States and will NOT be able to renew using the mail, MVA Kiosk or the web.
New Identification Card
Please refer to Sources of Proof for required identity and residency documentation.
- If you are using a name other than your birth name, you must bring the documents that initiated the change of name, such as a marriage certificate(s), divorce decree(s) or court name change order.
- The Identification Card will be mailed to your Maryland address on record.
- Please pay close attention to the expiration date of your Maryland Identification Card. The MVA is not obligated to remind you when it is time to reapply for an Identification Card.
- For information on how to apply for a social security number, please visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/).
- If you have a different name on your social security card than your source documents, you must change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA) prior to coming to the MVA. The new name(s) must match the name(s) that the SSA has on record. The license, learner's permit or ID card will not be issued if the new desired name change does not match the SSA records and is not automatically verified by the SSA files. It may take a minimum of 48 hours or longer for the SSA to update their records with your name change. Customers may obtain a Change of Address for (VR-154) at any MVA office, online or the form may be mailed to you. To have the form mailed, please call the MVA Customer Service Center at 1-410-768-7000 or 1-800-492-4575 TTY for the Hearing Impaired..
- If the name is different from the name on your birth certificate, then you are required to provide the MVA with an original or certified copy (from the issuing agency) of the document or documents that changed your name i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree, court ordered name change, etc. However, a cross-reference record must be created with the name on your birth certificate.
Duplicate Identification Card:
- If address has not changed, proof of residence is not required.
- If your identification card has been stolen, please contact the MVA's Customer Ombudsman's office at 410-787-7856 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Corrected Identification Card:
- If you are using a name other than your birth name, you must bring the document(s) that initiated the change of name, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court name change order.
Notes: If the name is different from the name on your birth certificate, then you are required to provide the MVA with an original or certified copy (from the issuing agency) of the name changing document(s) such as: marriage certificate, divorce decree, court ordered name change.
Reissuance/Renewal of Identification Card,:
- Your expiring ID Card. There is a required fee.
- If you are presenting a Maryland Driver's License or ID Card that has been expired for one (1) year or more, you will be processed as a new customer and must provide the MVA with additional documents. Please refer to Sources of Proof for required identity and residency documentation.
- Expiration Date: A Photo Identification Card (ID Card) issued to an applicant under 18 years of age may be valid for a maximum of five (5) years (depending upon the duration of the applicant's lawful status). A Photo Identification Card (ID card) issued to an applicant 18-years of age or older may be valid for a maximum of 8 years (depending upon the duration of the applicant's lawful status.)
- Surrender of ID Card: The photo identification card (ID card) must be surrendered by the holder, upon being issued a Maryland driver's license.
- Your ID card will be mailed to your address on record. Your ID card may be issued over the counter at the MVA office if you::
- Are surrendering a current MD driver's license or ID card, or;
- Have proof of travel reservations outside of Maryland (airline tickets, cruise tickets, motel/hotel reservations, etc) for a date less than 20 days in the future, or;
- Have a testing notice (i.e. GED, SAT, drug testing, etc) for a date less than 20 days in the future.
VETERAN STATUS CODE:
Effective January 1, 2013: You may be able to add a certain code to your license indicating you are a United States Veteran, clerk here for more information.