- The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways.
- The vehicle cannot be modified from the manufacturer's specifications.
- The vehicle must be a new vehicle and titled for the first time on or after July 1, 2017, but before July 1, 2020.
- The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
- The vehicle must be capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
- Has a battery capacity of at least 5.0 kilowatt-hours.
- Has a total purchase price not exceeding $60,000.
- $100 times the kilowatt-hours of battery capacity of the vehicle.
- Vehicles with 30 kilowatt-hours and above will only qualify for the maximum allowed of $3,000.
If you have purchased a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer will assist you with completing the proper form for the tax credit, you may download the Excise Tax Request for a Plug-in Electric Vehicle (VR-334) form.
• There is no fee for applying for the tax credit.
Credit requests received are subject to the availability of funding and will be calculated accordingly