Please be advised, effective immediately the $3 million funding authorized by the legislation for the Plug-In Electric Vehicle Excise Tax Credit for fiscal year 2019 are depleted.
We are currently processing applications that have already been received that will utilize the remaining funding. Applications will be processed in the order they were received. Once all funds are exhausted, no additional refunds will be issued until July 1, 2019 (fiscal year 2020) when additional funds become available.
- The vehicle must be made by a manufacturer primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways.
- The vehicle cannot be modified from the manufacturer's specifications.
- The vehicle must be a new vehicle and titled for the first time on or after July 1, 2017, but before July 1, 2020.
- The vehicle must be acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer, and not for resale.
- The vehicle must be capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
- Has a battery capacity of at least 5.0 kilowatt-hours.
- Has a total purchase price not exceeding $60,000.
- $100 times the kilowatt-hours of battery capacity of the vehicle.
- Vehicles with 30 kilowatt-hours and above will only qualify for the maximum allowed of $3,000.
If you have purchased a plug-in electric vehicle from a Maryland dealer, the dealer will assist you with completing the proper form for the tax credit, you may download the Excise Tax Request for a Plug-in Electric Vehicle (VR-334) form.
• There is no fee for applying for the tax credit.
Credit requests received are subject to the availability of funding and will be calculated accordingly