Proof of identity and residency are required of all applicants for a new Maryland driver's license, learner's permit or identification (ID) card; please use the online document guide to assist you with what to bring to the MVA.
The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration will verify the information provided on your application to determine eligibility.
All applicants for a driver's license are checked with the National Driver Registry. If your license is suspended, revoked, canceled or refused, you are not eligible for a Maryland driver's license.
Drivers must meet certain vision requirements. Visit the MVA's vision requirements page for additional information.
All learner's permits, identification (ID) cards and federally non-compliant driver's licenses and ID cards are mailed to the Maryland address on record at the MVA.
Immigrants with temporary lawful status in the U.S. will be issued a limited term driver's license or ID card, valid for the duration of their lawful status in the U.S.
If you are seeking a Maryland driver’s license and have a foreign license that is not suspended or revoked, please complete the 3-hour alcohol and drug education program and present the license before taking your driving skills test. If you do not have a foreign license, you will need to obtain a learner’s permit, complete the Maryland Driver Education Program and meet other requirements before taking your driving skills test.
Immigrants, presenting foreign documentation without valid accompanying United States Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation, can obtain a federally noncompliant Maryland driver's license or ID card. Please visit the online document guide for more detailed instructions.
RENEWALS FOR ELIGIBLE DRIVERS
To improve customer service and reduce wait times, customers under the age of 40, who are eligible, must renew their driver’s license here, or by mail or MVA Kiosk. Your renewals will no longer be completed at an MVA branch office counter.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS OR LICENSE CORRECTION
To request a change of address card, a corrected driver's license or ID card, please complete the transaction online here or by MVA kiosk.
An additional fee applies for new, corrected licenses or ID cards. A change of address card is sent at no extra cost, as an attachment, which should be stored with the license or ID card. The new license, ID card or attachment card will be mailed.
DUPLICATE DRIVER'S LICENSE OR ID CARD
Please request a duplicate driver's license or ID card online with the new online option here or by MVA kiosk. These transactions are no longer handled over the counter and the duplicate driver’s license or ID card is mailed to the address on record at the MVA.
MEDICAL ADVISORY BOARD REFERRALS
For the safety of all drivers, the MVA’s Medical Advisory Board must consider your medical status as part of your license request. Please be assured that all medical information is kept confidential and is only reviewed by the MVA’s Medical Advisory Board physician.
All drivers are required to report medical conditions to the MVA, including:
1. Diabetes that has caused a low blood sugar episode requiring assistance from another person in the last 6 months
4. A heart condition that has caused a loss of consciousness in the past 6 months
6. A condition that causes you to have dizzy spells, fainting, or blackouts
7. Sleep apnea or narcolepsy
8. A history of traumatic brain injury
9. A condition that causes weakness, shaking, or numbness in the arms, hands, legs, or feet that may affect your ability to drive
10. A hand, arm, foot, or leg that is absent, amputated, or has a loss of function that may affect your ability to drive
11. An eye problem which prevents a corrected minimum visual acuity of 20/70 in at least one eye or binocular field of vision of at least 110 degrees
12. Alcohol use problem
13. Drug use problem
14. A mental health condition that may affect your ability to drive