January 1, 2014, the MVA implemented a new process for immigrants, presenting foreign documentation without valid accompanying United States Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation, to obtain a driver's license (DL) or Identification Card (ID).
Please visit the Online Document Guide for a list of required identity and residency documents and more detailed instructions on what is needed to apply under this new process.
January 1, 2014, all Maryland Identification Cards, GLS Learner's Permits, and any NEW Federally Non-Compliant DL/IDs will NOT be issued at the time of your transaction; however, will be mailed to your Maryland residential address on file.
- Proof of identity and residency are required of all applicants for a new Maryland driver’s license, learner’s permit or ID card (DL/ID); please use the Online Document Guide to assist you with what to bring to the MVA.
- Immigrants with temporary lawful status in the U.S. will be issued a limited term DL/ID equal to their duration of lawful status in the U.S.
- All licensing applicants are checked with the National Driver Registry. If your license is suspended, revoked, canceled or refused in this or any other state, you are not eligible for a Maryland driver's license.
- All MD driver’s license applicants and renewals must meet certain vision requirements.
Customers obtaining a new MD commercial (CDL) or non-commercial driver’s license may:
- Take advantage of the MVA's Authorized Online Vision Certification Service program where their vision specialist will electronically submit their vision examination results to the MVA via a secure website; or
- Have their vision specialist complete the downloaded Vision Form; or
- Have a vision screening conducted at the MVA.
Visit our Vision Requirements page for additional information.
- For the safety of all drivers, the MVA’s Medical Advisory Board (MAB) must consider your medical status as part of your license request. All drivers are required to report their medical condition, listed below, to the MVA.
Please be assured that all medical information is kept confidential and is only reviewed by the MVA’s MAB physician.