New applicant must show the required documents from each category below.
1. Age/ Identity:
- Original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics (OVS) or equivalent agency in the applicant's state of birth; or
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the Dept. of State (DOS), form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545; or
- Valid, unexpired permanent resident card, form I-551, issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS); or
- Certificate of naturalization, form N-550 or N-570 issued by the U.S. DHS; or
- Certificate of citizenship, form N-560 or N-561 issued by the U.S. DHS; or
- Unexpired employment authorization documents (EAD), form I-766; or
- Unexpired foreign passport with current valid USCIS documentation.
- Birth documents issued by a hospital, notifications of birth registration, birth registration cards, and foreign birth certificates are not accepted.
- Puerto Rican birth certificates issued prior to July 1, 2010 will not be accepted.
2. Proof of lawful status:
- The documentation presented to prove your age & identity will be verified through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to verify lawful status.
- See Exceptions for individuals born abroad and adopted by US citizens.
3. Documentation of a valid, verifiable Social Security number or proof of ineligibility:
- Original or replacement Social Security (SS) Card; or
- W-2 form, not more than 18 months old; or
- 1099 form, not more than 18 months old; or
- Pay stub bearing the applicant’s name and SSN, not more than 3 months old; or
- Documentation demonstrating non-work authorized status.
- The name on your driver’s license/ID card must match the name on your Social Security card. If you have a name change, you must go to and change your name with Social Security Administration prior to coming to the MVA.
- The full social security number (all 9 digits) must be present on the document being used to prove Social Security. (XXX-XX-1234 is not acceptable)
- For information on how to apply for a Social Security Number, please visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber/.
4. Proof of Maryland Residency: Two (2) of the following source documents:
Maryland vehicle registration card or title;
Utility, Telephone, cable or satellite TV bill;
Checking, savings or financial account statement;
Insurance card or policy;
Property tax bill or receipt;
Mortgage account statement, deed, or other proof of home ownership;
Residential rental contract, an apartment lease, or other rental or real property; (current, formal contract or agreement between the property owner and tenant which includes all signatures);
Mail from a federal, state or local government agency;
Copy of federal or MD income tax return filing not more than 18 months old, with proof of filing;
Installment contract from a bank or other financial institution;
Sales tax or business license;
Credit card statement;
Residential service contract for services performed at the address of residence; for example, cable or satellite television service, TV repairs, lawn service or exterminator contract;
Canceled check with imprinted name and address;
Voter registration card;
Selective service card.
U.S. College Transcript or U.S. tuition bill;
U.S. High School Report Card or U.S. High School Transcript; or
Valid Maryland state issued professional license.
- Must include the applicant's name and residence address.
- Both items may not be from the same business, company or agency.
- Must reflect a current, recent or valid date.
- The address on the applicant’s Maryland residency sources must match the residence address on the application.
- A post office box may be used only in conjunction with a resident’s address; however, the document sources must reflect the residence.
- The use of a private mail drop or other commercial address is not permitted.
- Internet printouts of statements may be accepted for proof of residence; ex: bank statement, utility bills (for accounts that applicants primarily handle online). The statement MUST reflect applicants name and residential address.