Table of Contents
- Adding the Veteran Status to Your Driver’s License or Identification Card
- Active U.S. Foreign Service Members and Their Dependents Currently Holding a Maryland Driver's License
- Renewing an Expired Driver’s License if you have Returned to Maryland
- Military Personnel Possessing an Out-of-State Driver’s License Who Wish to Obtain a Maryland Driver's License or Photo Identification Card
- Obtaining a CDL Test Waiver for Veterans
AM I ELIGIBLE TO ADD THE VETERAN DESIGNATION?
HOW MUCH DOES ADDING/REMOVING THE DESIGNATION COST?
- Add the veteran designation at any time without making any other changes
- Already have the veteran designation on the back of your driver’s license or ID but want the new secure driver’s license or ID with the word Veteran on the front
WHERE CAN I ADD OR REMOVE THE VETERAN DESIGNATION?
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO BRING WITH ME?
- Veteran’s Medical CardDD214 Military Discharge Certificate
- For post October 1979 DD214 documents, Maryland Veterans can call 410-230-4444, extension 6450
- You are NOT eligible for the Veteran designation on a Maryland Driver’s License or Identification card if your DD214 reads:
- Dishonorable; or
- Other than Honorable
- Please contact Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs if you have any questions regarding the eligibility of the Veteran designation
- Honorable Discharge Certificate
- Letter from the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri
- Letter from the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs Service Program
- Letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- United States Uniformed Services Retiree Identification Card (DD Form 2)
- MDOT MVA has also increased the list of acceptable documents to include the Veteran Health Identification Card
- MDOT MVA has expanded sources of proof for veteran status for those retiring from military service prior to 1950. Previously, military veterans were turned away if they did not provide a DD214, separation of service form. However, through consultation and collaboration with the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs, MDOT MVA now accepts other forms of proof that can be used in place of the DD214 form. The following forms are now accepted:
- WD AGO 53
- WD AGO 55
- WD AGO 53-55
- NAVPERS 553
- NAVMC 78PD
- NAVCG 553
WHAT IF I DO NOT HAVE ONE OF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTS?
2) Active U.S. Foreign Service Members and Their Dependents Currently Holding a Maryland Driver's License
HOW LONG AFTER I RETURN TO MARYLAND DO I HAVE TO RENEW MY DRIVER’S LICENSE?
DO I NEED TO KEEP MY MARYLAND DRIVER’S LICENSE WITH ME WHILE SERVING?
HOW DO I APPLY FOR AN ABSENTEE MARYLAND DRIVER’S LICENSE?
NOTE FOR CDL HOLDERS:
ARE THERE MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS?
WHAT SHOULD I BRING WITH ME?
WHAT IF MY DRIVER’S LICENSE HAS BEEN EXPIRED FOR OVER A YEAR?
- Military order which indicate you are in active military service outside of Maryland; or,
- Your discharge or separation from active military service documents.
WHAT TEST WILL I BE REQUIRED TO RETAKE?
4) Military Personnel Possessing an Out-of-State Driver’s License Who Wish to Obtain a Maryland Driver's License or Photo Identification Card
HOW DO I OBTAIN A MARYLAND DRIVER’S LICENSE OR ID CARD WHEN MOVING TO MARYLAND?
- You must pass a vision screening, if you are applying for a Maryland driver's license.
- The driver’s license cannot be suspended or revoked.
- If licensed for less than 18 months, you will be issued a Maryland provisional driver’s license.
- Out-of-state learner's permits cannot be exchanged for a Maryland learner's permit or driver’s license.
HOW DO I OBTAIN A MARYLAND DRIVER’S LICENSE OR ID CARD WHEN MY OUT-OF-STATE DRIVER’S LICENSE IS EXPIRED?
There is no automatic extension for active duty military.
- You should contact the state in which your last driver’s license was issued to find out if a military extension is granted before visiting the MDOT MVA.
- Tests may be waived for active duty military and their dependents if the issuing state grants military extensions.
- Maryland will then review the procedures of the state in which the driver’s license was issued before determining whether the transfer can be done without testing.
NOTE FOR CDL HOLDERS:
HOW DO I OBTAIN A COMMERCIAL MARYLAND DRIVER’S LICENSE?
- A valid Medical Certification and waiver/exemption (if required) if applying for a commercial driver's license (CDL).
- A hazardous material (HAZMAT) knowledge test is required to obtain your HAZMAT endorsement if applying for a commercial driver's license. A new hazardous materials endorsement background record check must also be completed in Maryland to transfer or keep your HAZMAT endorsement.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR A NEW CDL TEST WAIVER?
- have a good driving record,
- have a valid Maryland class C (non-provisional) noncommercial driver’s license or higher,
- have 2 years of driving experience operating a military motor vehicle as part of your job function. The vehicle must represent the commercial motor vehicle that the individual expects to operate,
- the Commanding Officer certifies the service member’s years of operating the military vehicle as well as the type of vehicle operated,
- must pass the required CDL vision and knowledge tests,
- must provide the MDOT MVA with a valid U.S. Department of Transportation Physical Card or an exemption/waiver if required.
- The driver must also declare a self-certification category relating to their type of commerce.