- Fast Facts on CAV Technology
- Maryland Open for Business – CAV Technology
- Automated Vehicle Testing in Maryland
- Maryland Locations to Enable Testing Sites (LETS) for CAV
- Maryland Application for Designation of Proving Grounds for Automated Vehicle Pilot
- Maryland Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV) Working Group
- Other Resources
Actions in Maryland on Automated Vehicles
MDOT has developed a one-stop shop point of entry for all entities interested in CAV in Maryland – an Expression of Interest direct from this page. The process facilitates dialogue with potential partner companies – each with their unique circumstances involving CAVs – to better understand the needs of the entity and to help ensure safety is prioritized. Each testing scenario is unique, and we are ready and willing to work with organizations interested in collaborating on connected and automated vehicle technology. Begin the discussion by clicking here to complete the expression of interest.
- City of Pittsburgh and the Thomas D. Larson Pennsylvania Transportation Institute
- Texas AV Proving Grounds Partnership
- U.S. Army Aberdeen Test Center
- American Center for Mobility (ACM) at Willow Run
- Contra Costa Transportation Authority (CCTA) & GoMentum Station
- San Diego Association of Governments
- Iowa City Area Development Group
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Central Florida Automated Vehicle Partners
- North Carolina Turnpike Authority
In 2015, Maryland Transportation Secretary Pete Rahn established the Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV) Working Group as the central point of coordination for the development and deployment of emerging CAV technologies in Maryland. The Working Group handles strategic planning for MDOT concerning connected and automated vehicles. The group includes a diverse membership of transportation stakeholders, including elected officials, state and local agency representatives, highway safety organizations, representatives from the private sector and automotive industry. The group evaluates the latest research, tracks federal and state laws, policies and programs, and coordinates with other agencies, organizations and businesses to set the course for the future of automated and connected vehicles in Maryland.
A subgroup of representatives from the Working Group will meet as needed to further discuss CAV freight issues, and to coordinate and command CAV freight opportunities in Maryland, with specific emphasis on potential for truck platooning. This subgroup is comprised of agency personnel representing the different MDOT transportation business units (TBU’s), Maryland State Police and interested organizations from the Working Group.
A subgroup of representatives from the Working Group will meet as needed to further discuss policy and legislative issues, and to oversee development and maintenance of the processes and policies for test permitting on Maryland owned infrastructure. This subgroup is comprised of agency personnel representing the different MDOT transportation business units (TBU’s), Maryland State Police and interested organizations from the Working Group.
A subgroup of representatives from the Working Group will meet as needed to further discuss technical and operational issues, and to oversee the actual testing of HAV’s on Maryland owned infrastructure. This subgroup is comprised of agency personnel representing the different MDOT TBU’s and Maryland State Police.
The CAV Working Group can assign tasks to the SubGroups, as appropriate, in order to facilitate action on open issues, concerns, or ideas.
- December 17, 2015
- February 29, 2016
- May 16, 2016
- June 17, 2016
- August 3, 2016
- October 12, 2016
- December 1, 2016
- May 2, 2017 Meeting
- August 28, 2017 Meeting
- October 30, 2017 Meeting
- December 18, 2017
- May 1, 2018
- 5.1.2018 Working Group Agenda
- MDOT Strategic Plan presentation
- Johns Hopkins Medical Institute presentation
- AAMVA guidance presentation
- AAMVA guidance handout
- Maryland Insurance Administration presentation
- Nationwide Insurance presentation
- Nationwide insurance handout
- Maryland Transportation Institute presentation
- May 2018 Strategic Plan Webinars
- August 13, 2018