Maryland law requires that all motor vehicles registered in Maryland be insured by a company licensed in Maryland and carry the minimum vehicle liability coverage of:
- $30,000 for bodily injury per person,
- $60,000 for bodily injury for two or more people, and
- $15,000 for property damage.
As a pre-requsite to obtaining Maryland license plates when registering or renewing a vehicle registration, you must sign an insurance certification. Your signature acknowledges that the minimum vehicle liability insurance will be maintained throughout the registration periods and vehicle will not be driven without insurance.
Here are the facts about insurance needs for vehicles in the State of Maryland.
- Proof of Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
- Maryland Insurance Certification: (FR-19)
- Avoid Penalties!
- Uninsured Vehicle Owners Could
- If You're Involved In An Accident
- Maryland Approved Insurance Companies
- Maryland Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- Want More Information?
- Payment Information
The Maryland Automobile Insurance Fund (MAIF) provides automobile insurance to Maryland residents that have been turned down by two insurance companies or cancelled by one. To get more information on how to insure your vehicle, visit MAIF's website.